[mapguide-users] Two performance questions

Martin Morrison martin.morrison at edsi.com
Fri Feb 20 13:34:14 EST 2009

A couple of notes about this thread.  You need to test for yourself the different methods.  In general I agree with what the other posters have said with a few exceptions.

On RDBMS vs SDF. If you are serving many layers from one datasource and they need filtering, use an RDMS (Oracle or SQL Spatial).  The filter will return a subset of data and render fairly quick.  You are also splitting the work load so the Mapguide server doesn't have to do all of the work in its' own single-threaded world.

Take the time to optimize the little things.  They add up.  E.G. Do you really need to have all of the Apache modules turned on?  Cleanup the data, do you really need to define 10 billion points along a straight line?  Defrag the server.  Free up RAM on the server.  Look at your anti-virus, you may to exclude some directories and processes.

Reliabilty and performance gains usually don't have a magic bullet.  They usually take a lot of effort to go through code and the server to realize the optimum gains.  Benchmark specific items.  All of the code rework in the world isn't going to help a disk bottleneck or lack of memory.

Martin