[mapguide-users] Silverlight/Moonlight Viewer

Carl Jokl carl.jokl at keynetix.com
Mon Feb 23 04:55:17 EST 2009

There have been some potential improvements in the performance of the AJAX
viewer in MapGuide 2010. One issue that has been a problem though as I have
heared reported from others in the company is the matter of image
compression. This hits performance on both the AJAX and DWF viewer simply
because the images being sent across the internet are larger than in
MapGuide 6.5. I have not been personally involved in investigating this so
don't have all the details. I was just curious given that this thread
suggested that someone might try and work on a replacement for the DWF
viewer in Silverlight. If nothing has come of that then that answers the
question. In reference to the last post, in terms of performance I had in
mind a viewer which wasn't using image tiles at all rather was rendering the
DWF on the client directly as the ActiveX plugin does. This would be a big
undertaking as essentially you would need a component to parse DWF and
another to graphically render it. Finally you would need to add the MapGuide
control to this component to handle things like the menus and exposing the
client API.

If a Silverlight viewer were used that just used the Image Tiles like the
AJAX viewer then I suspect the performance might not be so much different.
If the key performance issue is bandwidth and time taken to transmit image
tiles across the internet that will be an issue regardless of the client
side technology rendering those tiles.

I might fear also that if the DWF view is not going to be supported anymore
there might also be a case for pulling the plug on supporting transmitting
the map image data from the server in DWF form too. If that becomes the case
a new viewer replacement viewer to take the place of the ActiveX control
becomes useless.