[mapguide-users] Precision problem viewing map

Stefan Dalakov s.dalakov at mapware.net
Mon Jan 12 06:12:27 EST 2009

Hi all,
I am facing a strange and unexpected problem regarding precision of map
and coordinates display. I see that my data is not displayed on the
exact place - there is a shift in Y coordinate. I have a raster layer
with bounding rectangle
Xmin=..., Ymin=7070400, Xmax=.... Ymax=7071600. But when I move the
mouse pointer at the lower left corner I see Y=7070320 (at scale 1:2000
let say) or similar value, and the difference depends on the scale. If I
zoom down, the difference changes, and at scales close to 1:50 it is ok.
The situation is similar at the upper right corner. I observe exactly
the same effect with all other layers.
I wouldn't care too much about this - even if there is a shift, all
layers are shifted equally, but when I digitize a polygon it is also
shifted. Imagine I digitize a polygon to follow a feature on the raster
image, coordinates are recorded , the feature is added to data source,
but when it is added, due to this shift it appears not where it has been
digitized, but shifted.
I guess you did not understand anything of this, but you can visit

http://www.bgmapguide.com:8008/mapguide/rakvag/main.php

click on "draw a new suggestion" and try to digitize 2 adjacent polygons
- you will see them overlap
Please be gentle to the server - it is an old tired horse.
And to save some time - all layers and the map are in the same
coordinate system.
This effect is not depending on the browser (tested with FFox 2 & 3,
Safari and IE) and is not depending on the screen resolution

Best regards : Stefan Dalakov