[mapguide-users] Load Layer Definition XML

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Jan 22 14:55:43 EST 2009

If you want to modify the layer xml, you just read the xml like this:

MgByteReader rd = resourceSrvc.GetResource(new
MgResourceIdentifier("Library://layer.LayerDefinition"));

If you want to work seriously with layerdefinitions (and the MapGuide
xml), I have created the MaestroAPI,
which lets you manipulate classes instead of xml:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/maestro/MaestroAPI

Using the MaestroAPI, you can just do:
LayerDefinition ldef =
con.GetLayerDefinition("Library://layer.LayerDefinition");
VectorLayerDefinition vldef = ldef.Item as VectorLayerDefinition;
foreach(VectorScaleRangeType vsr in vldef.ScaleRanges)
    foreach(object o in vsr.Item)
       if (o is PointTypeStyleType)
          ; //Layer has points
       else if (o is LineTypeStyleType)
          ; //Layer has lines
       else if (o is AreaTypeStyleType)
          ; //Layer has polygons

Also, changing a style is easy, eg:
PointTypeStyleType point = vldef.ScaleRanges[0].Item[0] as
PointTypeStyleType;
p.PointRule[0].Label.BackgroundColor = System.Drawing.Color.Red;

Then save:
con.SaveResource(ldef);

All is fully intellisense supported in VS.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S