[mapguide-users] Creating a temporary feature source that is not an SDF file

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:22:19 EDT 2009

If you understand that feature sources are just xml documents that describe a
FDO connection to a particular data store, then
CreateFeatureSource()/MgCreateSdfParams is just a convenience method that
does the following:

1) Create the SDF file, with the specified schema
2) Create an XML feature source document for this created SDF
3) Sets the resource content (feature source) based on the given resource id
4) Uploads the created SDF file as the resource data for the given resource
id

What is so special about MgCreateSdfParams is that it can create the SDF
data store for you (the 1st part). For anything other than SDF, this data
store creation ability is not exposed and you will need to have the data on
hand already or use the FDO API to create the data store.

However you can achieve the same effect (parts 2, 3 and 4) using
SetResource() and SetResourceData() methods of MgResourceService.

I think in your case, what you want to do is to copy the raster feature
source to your session repository, and modify its configuration document. No
CreateFeatureSource() call is required.

Hope that helps.

- Jackie