[mapguide-users] Add a layer from a shape file (.shp) - MapGuide

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Tue May 26 18:19:21 EDT 2009

So I think you are saying they are temporary then.

You should be able to add the FeatureSource and LayerDefinitions to the Session Repository then and add the layer to the runtime map. There should be examples of that kicking around. It's getting the SHP file to the server that's the issue depending on the size. You could load the files to a folder on the server and create feature sources that point to the folder to find the files.

Alternately I'm not sure there is any logic in place or examples that would allow you to generate a package and upload it to the Session Repository. Maybe a developer can comment on that. If you used some of the Studio API you could create a package which might bypass all the XML parsing. Except that stuff has to run where the Studio Dlls are available which means you probably still have to provide a folder and an upload mechanism to get the files on the server so you can create package.

Even if you can't do the package stuff you still have to expose a directory on the server for the files. You may also have to deal with issues like duplicate file names, deleting/overwriting the files when they are no longer needed. Will you limit the file size? Also things like if the SHP file doesn't have a .prj file will you prompt to pick a coordinate system? Sounds like lots of fun challenges.

Dave