[mapguide-users] Add a layer from a shape file (.shp) - MapGuide

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Tue May 26 21:05:12 EDT 2009

I've kicked around the same idea with some customers.  There are many things
to think about when considering building an application like this.  You will
need to provide an upload mechanism for your customers and provide them an
interface to provide things like coordinate system overrides (if a .prj file
is not part of the Shape file).  You will also need to provide an interface
to allow the customer to stylize the data and enter all of the possible
parameters that would be necessary.  You will then need to do much
server-side programming as Dave mentioned to create data and layer resources
in the repository and then add the layer to the map.

While this approach is quite possible technically, given the complexity of
those tasks and how much custom programming would need to occur, you may
want to provide the users with MapGuide Maestro and some training so they
can add their own resources, stylize layers, and so on.  If needed, you
could restrict repository folder access and lock down the actual map and
then programmatically control what layers are added to it so the users don't
mess up your maps.

IMHO, by creating an application like this, you would be reinventing a large
portion of the authoring workflow for which tools already exist.  I think it
would be a cool application that many people would use if it were available,
but is it worth the time and money investment?

Just some thoughts.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
47° 46' N 116° 49' W