[mapguide-users] Symbol Library

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Mon Aug 9 18:33:25 EDT 2010

If you have any vector elements you can set an overridable parameter
for the colour, but images are treated as fixed elements.  I guess it
would be possible to enhance mapguide to transform 1-bit images, but
with anti-aliasing issues I don't think there would be a lot of value.

I've just been editing the XML myself with graph paper and a
calculator. It's a little painful, but I have fine control over what
is displayed, and only have to do it once per complex layer:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/AdvancedStylization

Examples of this on my city's Utilities "theme":

http://maps.nanaimo.ca/nanaimomap/

I'm happy to share these, but they're not documented. Been meaning to
clean up and publish above but haven't got around to it yet.

Others have suggested using an editor such as Inkscape (I think) which
can export XPS geometry, but I found that approach didn't give me
enough control.

I have also heard rumour of commercially available symbol sets, but
haven't seen any myself. If anyone knows of any, it would be cool to
track them (and vendor contact details) on the wiki.

I'm sure an editor would be appreciated by all, though the complexity
of the stylization spec makes it hard to imagine what this would look
like. Perhaps if enough people were interested we could make it worth
Jackie's while to add this to Maestro :)

Jason