[mapguide-users] Symbol Library

frosty1_4me kbowman at cityofgp.com
Mon Aug 9 15:34:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

I need to add new symbols to the symbol library.  I had imported them
through a load procedure from the DWG and block definitions but the imported
symbols look like garbage.  So, I thought I'll just go into the symbol
library and change the symbol in there which I found out I can't do because
MGE stores the symbols as some lame XML format (ridiculous) and lumps the
symbols all together.  That means you can only delete the symbols or add new
ones since there is no symbol editors (ultra ridiculous).  On top of that I
found out if I use the free Open source version of studio you can at least
edit the xml, but that's alot of work and doesn't work very good at all.

So, I just deleted the symbol from the symbol library, then imported a new
symbol as a png file.  After I did that the symbol looked good but I didn't
like the color and was going to override that in the styles of the point
layer, to my surprise (or expectation as it has come to be with things not
working correctly in MGE) the colors don't get overwritten.  The symbol is
uneffected from the color styles applied as the layer point style.

How do other people handle symbol libraries and edit them?

Thanks