[mapguide-users] Database Comparisons/Reviews/Recommendations

Steve G steve.golden at morganhill.ca.gov
Mon Aug 30 18:37:57 EDT 2010

Sorry if this has already been posted before (I did a search, but didn't find
much).  I am currently running MGOS 2.1 on a Win2003 Server with all of my
geospatial data in shapefiles (about 60 layers; unmanaged resources on a
network file server; probably will upgrade to Win2008 Server soon).  It
actually runs quite well with the data I have, however, just looking into
the future and thinking about migrating the data into an actual spatial
database.  I was wondering if there are any case
studies/reviews/comparisons, etc of the freely available databases or if you
just want to respond with your own experiences.  I know it ultimately
depends on what I want the database to do, but hoping to leverage the
knowledge of other users before making a decision.  Some things I would be
interested in are:

-Database capabilities
-Scalability (size limitations; connection limmitations; schema locking when
editing; etc)
-How easy to manage?
-Performance/Speed
-Major Bugs/Issues using with Mapguide
-Major Bugs/Issues using with current FDO providers

Thanks for any input.  If there is a lot of feedback, I will try to combine
and place in a better spot (back in the Mapguide OSGEO website).