[mapguide-users] Database Comparisons/Reviews/Recommendations

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Tue Aug 31 04:33:54 EDT 2010

This is somewhat irrelevant, but for history's sake:

Both of these providers were initially written by the same person and funded
jointly by Refractions Research and the City of Nanaimo. The original
developer hit a wall with the Generic RDBMS framework (used for the MySQL,
SQL Server Spatial and ODBC providers) as he was nearing the home stretch
and started over.  Unfortunately, this led to a resource crunch and this
second attempt never reached the desired level of stability despite some
valiant efforts by subsequent maintainers.

Autodesk recently dusted off the code from first abandoned attempt, added
the features that were required for it to be usable, and made it stable.
 I'm really glad that they chose to take this on, and am happy to see that
FDO (and MapGuide) now have a decent answer for PostGIS users.

Jason