[mapguide-users] Sessions on server side

Kenneth Skovhede ks at geograf.dk
Mon Feb 22 14:33:09 EST 2010

Ok, I can see that I misjudged your experience level completely :).

In my experience, users do not understand that sessions expire, they
just think the page is broken, and reload to fix it.

If you want to avoid using asp.net sessions, your problem would be to
keep track of concurrent users.
The session ids are generated randomly by MapGuide, so you would need to
store them somewhere to
test if they are expired later. You cannot re-use an id once it has expired.

Perhaps you can get the same end effect, if you install 2 MapGuide
servers (and 2 WebExtensions).
Use one for authenticated users, and one for anonymous users.

In the serverconfig.ini, you can set the
ClientConnections.MaxConnections value to limit the allowed load
for the anonymous installation. It is not the same as concurrent users,
but will limit the amount of server
power that the anonymous users can get.

In my setups there are no problems serving 10 simultaneous users on a
quad core.
I strongly recommend that you use tiles (baselayers) as that is
basically a render
cache, and significantly reduces load on MapGuide. The bandwidth is
close to the
same, but the tiles can also be cached locally.

I'm pretty sure the MgException (and all other classes) are not
implementing [Serializable].
I did not know about the cross-domain exception problems, thank you for
pointing me to it.
There has been no one willing to put time into maintaining the .Net API
beyond what SWiG
generates. Adding extra code in the generated classes would also mean
more work for each release,
and again, no one has been willing to provide this extra effort.

No, I cannot see the attachment.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S