[mapguide-users] Best steps for upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1?

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Mon Jan 25 12:44:20 EST 2010

I would highly recommend setting up a test server identical to your
production server and testing (and documenting) the upgrade steps
there first.  There are several differences between 2.0 and 2.1, and
some people are having problems with raster layers that have prevented
upgrades.

MapGuide does not have an in-place upgrade mechanism, so you basically
need to uninstall 2.0, install and configure 2.0, and update your
applications to use the 2.1 binaries (not sure what this entails for
.net; perhaps copying in new DLLs?). Any explicit path references will
need to be changed if you use the default install dir because it has
changed since 2.0.

It has been a while since I've done this; there may be a step where
you run upgrade scripts on your dbxml instance, but I'm not sure if
that was only for 1.2->2.0 or is required for 2.0->2.1 as well.

I hope others are able to chime in, and possibly document this process
on the wiki.

Couple things to do before upgrading:
- shut down MapGuide and take cold backup (file copy works fine) of
the Repositories directory.
- make sure to back up anything you have changed or added to the
MapGuide install directories, such as webconfig.ini and
serverconfig.ini and fdo's providers.xml. You can't use these in place
with MGOS 2.1 Tchanged install paths, version numbers) but they are an
invaluable reference to see if there's a change you forgot about.

Jason