[mapguide-users] Re: Performance of MapGuide on a Virtual Server

oshan icycool at inbox.com
Thu Jul 1 03:48:54 EDT 2010

Thanks Jason and Zac for you suggestions I tried these out and here is the
outcome:

Mg Version: V 2.0.2
Datasource Type:  SHP, 10 DataSources
Number of Layer: 10

>> Are you applying appropriate display ranges for the data?
Yeah I do turn off layers depending on the scale. Like initially the regions
and localities (sub divisions, for 2 regions) are visible. after zooming
down to a certain scale the region and localities end and the parcels layer
begins. I am assuming this is what you mean by appropriate display ranges?
All the other layer are initially not visible.

>> What do you mean by close?
The server is housed at the university I'm working in. So I would say about
1K physical distance!

>> Have you done any profiling on the server
---------------------------------------
I'm not really familiar with this. I don't think we have. I'll have to ask
the IT people for this don't know how long that will take.

>>What's the throughput of the network connection?
I downloaded a 80MB bin file from the server using SSH and it downloaded in
4m04s with a speed of 347KB/s. This is the slowest I have experienced.
Sometimes downloads goes in the range of 1000 - 3000KB/s! I think it gets
slower towards evening.

Its not downloading that seams to be the problem. I tested the site with
firebug. The total initial download reported there is about 400KB! But there
seams to be a lot of waiting. I have read in this forum that initially
MapGuide need to setup things like FDO Connection, caches etc...

I have also modified the serverconfig.ini and increased the
dataConnectionTimeOut to 86400

Even then if I load the page after a couple of hours later the initial load
still takes a while but if I refresh the page immediately after the initial
load the page loads quickly in about 10s!

And Zac I tried the Sheboygan sample, it also takes about 1 Min to make a
cold start!

Other Settings in serverconfig.ini:

JoinQueryBatchSize = 1000
DataConnectionPoolSize = 200
DataCacheSize = 1000
CacheSize = 600
DataConnectionTimeout = 86400
DataConnectionPoolEnabled = 1
CacheTimeLimit = 86400
DataConnectionPoolExcludedProviders = 0
DataConnectionPoolSizeCustom =
OSGeo.Gdal:1,Autodesk.Raster:1,OSGeo.SHP:20,OSGeo.SDF:20
DataConnectionTimerInterval = 10800
CacheTimerInterval = 3600