[mapguide-users] Choosing format for Tile Cache on a per-map basis?

Joel Carranza jec at gatekeeper.com
Mon Jun 7 13:38:43 EDT 2010

One of the problems we have come up against recently is that the tile cache
can only be either JPG or PNG globally, and we really need to be able to
make that choice on a per-map basis. We have some aerial photography which
is absolutely massive if it not encoded as JPEG, but that makes all of other
maps, which have crisp linework like streets and labels, look really awful.

Are there any workarounds at this point, other than simply running two
different servers?

Are we the only ones we have this need? Is there an RFC or a enhancement
filed in Trac which would address this. I have searched, but I haven't come
across anything.

I see RFC11 (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc11) which would
allow us to turn off the disk cache and handle the caching externally, but
it doesn't appear that the we can dictate the format of the tile that we can
request through GETTIMEIMAGE.

--joel
jec at gatekeeper.com