[mapguide-users] Re: Images into custom symbols

Steve G steve.golden at morganhill.ca.gov
Mon Jun 21 18:26:16 EDT 2010

This is an old post with no replies, however, I am pretty much trying to do
the same thing (use an image as a symbol).  I reviewed the
http://www.rand.com/imaginit/1/pdfs/technology/software/building_symbol_libraries_with_autodesk_mapguide_enterprise_2009.pdf
Building Symbol Libraries document  and it says the image maybe a PNG file
or "in the Reference element as a link to the image stored as Resource Data
within the resource database."

I have been able to use the Symbol Definition below with PNG symbols, but if
I change the file type to something else (EMF, BMP, etc), it doesn't work.
Can someone provide some direciton and perhaps some sample code?  I am not
sure what the above documentation means to "link to the image stored as
Resource Data".

Also, can someone confirm what image file types can be used?  I saw some
documentation for Mapguide Studio that said Studio supported the following:
Bitmap (BMP), Device Independent Bitmap (DIB), Enhanced Metafile (EMF),
TrueType Fonts (TTF), Windows Metafile (WMF), Portable Network Graphics
(PNG), Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPG/JPEG).  Is this Mapguide's
limitation as well?  I am using MGOS 2.1 (soon to be on 2.2).

THANKS!!!

<SimpleSymbolDefinition
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="SymbolDefinition-1.0.0.xsd" version="1.0.0">
  <Name>Police</Name>
  <Graphics>
    <Image>
      <ResizeControl>'ResizeNone'</ResizeControl>
      <Reference>
        <ResourceId />
        <LibraryItemName>'RainHatManhole2.PNG'</LibraryItemName>
      </Reference>
      <SizeX>4.0</SizeX>
      <SizeY>4.0</SizeY>
      <SizeScalable>True</SizeScalable>
      <Angle>0.0</Angle>
      <PositionX>0.0</PositionX>
      <PositionY>0.0</PositionY>
    </Image>
  </Graphics>
  <PointUsage>
    <Angle>%ROTATION_ANGLE%</Angle>
  </PointUsage>
  <ParameterDefinition>
    <Parameter>
      <Identifier>ROTATION_ANGLE</Identifier>
      <DefaultValue>0.0</DefaultValue>
      <DisplayName>Angle to rotate symbol</DisplayName>
    </Parameter>
  </ParameterDefinition>
</SimpleSymbolDefinition>