[mapguide-users] RE: MGE performance. It's soooooo Slllllllooooooowwww

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Fri Jan 28 18:55:15 EST 2011

I've seen huge performance slowdowns with data sources that are storing more
vertices than accuracy requirements would dictate, and have seen performance
improvements with very, very slight linear generalization.

I have also seen performance gains by simplifying complex geometries (such
as curvepolygons or multigeometry) to simple polygons, and making sure that
the data source is reporting this simple geometry correctly.

For Fusion, initial load times can be seriously reduced by compiling a
custom version for use in your map:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapguide-users/2008-August/014002.html

<http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapguide-users/2008-August/014002.html>Tooltip
responsiveness can be severly affected by having lots of layers that are
selectable or have tooltips assigned (actually, in recent versions this may
only be for tooltips; little fuzzy on this).

Another item that severely affects performance is network speed.  Because
MGOS is sending large-ish rasters instead of vectors, performance is
affected by available upstream bandwidth.  This can easily cause problem if
your organisation's network access is asymmetric; I ran across a situation
once where someone was trying to publish MGOS over a 512kbps uplink.  If you
do the math, this constrains performance even for a single user, and has
catastrophic effects when serving multiple maps at once.

I think our Fusion-based map (http://maps.nanaimo.ca/nanaimomap/) has
reasonable performance, but it isn't quite on the same level as MG 6.5 was.

The only real way around the constraints of a raster-based map is with a
vector-based viewer, built on something like Flash or Silverlight.

Jason