[mapguide-users] Re: Featuresource configuration

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon May 7 22:25:34 EDT 2012

I'll have to double check if I've properly ported over the feature source
configuration capabilities mg-desktop, but yes the feature source
configuration would be the way to go as it allows you to remove the extra
geometry columns from the class definition that is presented to MapGuide.

Feature Source configuration is admittedly scarce in documentation, but I'll
point to my 2 blog posts as a starting point of reference:

 *
http://themapguyde.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/using-fdo-schema-overrides.html
 *
http://themapguyde.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/using-fdo-schema-overrides-redux.html

Once you understand that a configuration document simply defines:

 * Spatial Contexts
 * FDO Logical Schema
 * Logical to Physical schema mappings (specific to each provider that
supports configuration, not really relevant to this case fortunately)

Then what you really want to do is modify the FDO logical schema part of the
document to remove the extra geometry columns. When set as a configuration
document for a feature source, MapGuide will use the FDO logical schema
defined here whenever it needs to interrogate the structure of that Feature
Source. FDO Toolbox lets you do this visually as explained in the 2nd blog
link.

Glad you like mg-desktop. As long as you can live with some limitations (no
tiled maps, non-ACID resource service) then it is a good foundation for
building desktop mapping applications.

There is a "Desktop API" component under Trac, so you can submit
issues/bugs/enhancements there. The Google Code site is just for hosting
binaries now.

- Jackie