[mapguide-users] Re: Scaling of mapguide opensource 2.2

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Wed May 9 00:11:50 EDT 2012

But how many cores does this server have?

if you are using PNG for raster imagery, your bandwidth requirements will
be crazy, JPG will speed up your map delivery (from server to client)
and drastically reduce your bandwidth usage

Also, are you using tiled maps? that is really the only way
to scale things up for many users, especially with raster imagery

As I mentioned before, any FDO GDAL raster is single threaded which
is the real bottleneck. so if you need better performance, I really suggest
considering contributing some funds towards the following initiative

http://www.otxsystems.com/community-initiatives/gdal-provider-initiative.html

This multi-threaded GDAL provider will also prevent a crash within the provider
blocking all further GDAL requests, which is rather nasty in production

Regards