[mapguide-users] Fusion broken.

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 08:02:39 PST 2012

Hi,

> I don't know. I'm just using the default install of 2.4.0 and expected it
> all to work.
>
> Running a search, there don't appear to be any "MapDefinition" files
> anywhere in the entire /MapGuide directory.
> I'm surprised no samples were provided in the default install.

Map and layerdefinition are on a single-file db (a dbxml).
Try downloading Mapguide Maestro, and log in on the server (substitute
"localhost" with the name or the IP address of Mapguide) with default
account (Username: Administrator, password: admin).

If it works you'll see a on the left a tree, called Library which
contains folder "Samples" and inside the map definition you're looking
for.
In particular

Library://Samples/Sheboygan/MapsTiled/SheboyganSphericalMerc.MapDefinition

means that it is trying to load "SheboyganSphericalMerc.MapDefinition"
inside Samples/Sheboygan/MapsTiled.

> Looking into the documentation it's not clear how to make a MapDefinition
> file (the search only finds two results which make reference to them:
> http://mapguide.osgeo.org/search/node/mapdefinition), and the samples I can
> find are for 2.0.x
> (http://mapguide.osgeo.org/download/releases/2.0.x-samples) with the
> installation notes not appearing to work with 2.4.x.

Mapdefinitions are xml files with a precise schema.
Mapguide Maestro is the tool that ease creation of all xml files you need.

Mapguide Maestro allows you to create FeatureSources "aka connection
to data", LayerDefinitions (aka layers that use data), MapDefinitions
(aka collections of layers) and WebLayouts (aka a presentations of a
map).

Regards,

Gabriele Monfardini