[mapguide-users] MG 2.4 final, MG 2.5 Beta 1 problems, errors ... ect.

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 06:56:03 PST 2013

Re: 1 - OK

Re: 3 - If you really don't want to take my word for it, then here's the
relevant bits from the Google Maps TOS:

10.1.1 General Restrictions.

(g) No Use of Content without a Google Map. You must not use or display the
Content without a corresponding Google map, unless you are explicitly
permitted to do so in the Maps APIs Documentation, or through written
permission from Google. In any event, you must not use or display the
Content on or in conjunction with a non-Google map. For example, you must
not use geocodes obtained through the Service in conjunction with a
non-Google map. As another example, you must not display Street View imagery
alongside a non-Google map, but you may display Street View imagery without
a corresponding Google map because the Maps APIs Documentation explicitly
permits you to do so.

10.1.3 Restrictions against Data Export or Copying.

(a) No Unauthorized Copying, Modification, Creation of Derivative Works, or
Display of the Content. You must not copy, translate, modify, or create a
derivative work (including creating or contributing to a database) of, or
publicly display any Content or any part thereof except as explicitly
permitted under these Terms. For example, the following are prohibited: (i)
creating server-side modification of map tiles; (ii) stitching multiple
static map images together to display a map that is larger than permitted in
the Maps APIs Documentation; (iii) creating mailing lists or telemarketing
lists based on the Content; or (iv) exporting, writing, or saving the
Content to a third party's location-based platform or service.

<<<

What you would like to do (plot the current view of the map with a google
map background) violates the above parts of the TOS. We would have to fetch
the applicable Google Map tiles outside of the OpenLayers viewport (violates
10.1.1 (g)), stitch them together and composite them with the current map
view image for the final printout (violates 10.1.3 (a)). Others may
interpret these clauses differently, but I'm not going to challenge my
interpretation of the TOS.

Even if we use OpenStreetMap where we can do whatever we want with the
tiles, the actual process of plotting the current map view with the OSM
backdrop is still complex, as we have to figure out problems such as tile
stitching and image composition with the main MapGuide Map Definition image.

Commercial layers serve as a contextual backdrop for your MapGuide Map
Definition. The Map Definition is the focal point of your application and
all Fusion widgets/functionality that interact with your map, not the
commercial layers lying underneath it.

So while yes, it would be really nice if we could also have the commercial
layer included with the plot of the current map view (even if the only layer
we could legally do all this is OpenStreetMap), it's too much effort for
very little gain.

Re: 5 - OK

Re: 8 - Ok, so are we talking specifically about the Redline/Measure widget
when shown within a popup window? And when you close the window, the
"prompt" message doesn't go away? If that's the case, then yes this is a
defect, as the widget should deactivate (dismissing the message) if its
popup window is closed.

- Jackie