[mapguide-users] HTML5 client-side viewer (Was re: Re-thinking Fusion redlining efficiency)

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 04:10:00 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Jackie Ng <jumpinjackie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would prefer something that allows us to re-use our existing Layer
> Definitions for client-side vector rendering. I'm not sure whether
> ol3/leaflet support customizable rendering pipelines where we can take over
> certain aspects of the rendering process and plug our own method of
> rendering features in.

Creating SLD files is an option we could consider.

> I too would like a client-side vector viewer. All our viewer technologies
> thus far are nothing more than glorified LiteView clients, we do need the
> modern contemporary to the ActiveX viewer.
>
> But like I said we really need some discussions with meat in them. All
> previous discussions have been somewhat fruitless.

We should also take into account that we are an osgeo project with a
relatively small contributor base. How do we want to differentiate
from eg mapserver? Why would developers join mapguide rather than
mapserver?
If the core advantage of mapguide is offering a good layer, map and
viewer authoring tool we should perhaps focus on that and leave the
implementation of services and clients to other osgeo projects?