[mapguide-users] Please help putting Ajax / Google discussion to rest

cheesybiscuits thomaschristian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:45:11 PDT 2013

First of all I'm sorry I have to post this question. Another developer with
more Map Guide experience than me has previously told my boss that it should
be possible to integrate a Google Maps layer with a standard (non-Fusion)
web layout, and as a result our project has developed around the Ajax
viewer. From all the information I've seen I don't think this is possible
(however I am suffering from following a lot of broken links on the
subject). We are using Autodesk Infrastructure Server 2013 and I don't know
if this changes anything.

As part of a project we have made some customisations around the Ajax viewer
and my boss was understandably upset when I told him we have to move to the
Fusion viewer using a flexible web layout.

I have seen several definitive statements on the subject from 2011
(http://themapguyde.blogspot.ca/2011/03/definitive-mapguidegoogle-maps.html)
and early 2012
(http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Integrating-Google-Maps-with-Mapguide-OpenSource-td4182637.html)
that Ajax simply isn't possible.

I was hoping someone could give me a quick and definitive response to the
following statement:

"As of June 2013 it is not possible to integrate a Google Maps layer with
the Ajax Viewer and a standard web layout, regardless of whether Map Guide
OS or Autodesk Infrastructure Server is used. A flexible web layout is
required."

Thanks