[mapguide-users] Workaround: PostGIS view FDO schema override from feature source with foreign keys

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 07:19:18 PDT 2013

>> Question1: is there any other way besides FDO Toolbox to extract the full,
unmodified xml config document >> for the datastore so that I can stream in
the part that has changed for my offending view, and thus keep >> the other
feature source tables with foreign keys that are otherwise working in
maestro.

You can use the GETSCHEMAMAPPING operation from the mapagent to get a
default XML configuration document. We don't generally use this operation in
Maestro as it has a bad first time performance cost for really large data
stores having to walk the full FDO schema of the data store.

>> Question2: is it possible to tell FDO Toolbox more about the foreign keys
>> so that it can export the XML
>> config document successfully without having to delete the other tables?

Here's a tip: When you delete a schema/class/property in the FDO Toolbox
data store editor, nothing is actually deleted in the data store itself
until you hit the "Apply Changes" button. On the same note, when you export
an XML configuration document, it skips any deleted (but not applied)
schema/class/property objects to my knowledge.

Armed with this knowledge, if foreign keys (ie. FDO Association Properties)
are tripping up exporting the XML configuration document (yes, it's a bug),
just simply delete these Association Properties (but *DON'T APPLY CHANGES*)
and then try exporting again.

There should be no ramification for not having association properties
exposed in your MapGuide Feature Source because MapGuide does nothing with
these properties anyway. It will skip such properties anyway if you were to
describe the schema through the MapGuide API. So you might as well configure
the Feature Source as though such foreign keys do not exist in the first
place.

I haven't touched the FDO Toolbox code for a while, but I'm pretty sure this
technique should work.

- Jackie