[mapguide-users] Release planning for MapGuide Open Source 2.6

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 06:13:01 PDT 2014

Hi All,

Here's my current line of thinking with regards to the release of MapGuide
2.6

There will be 1 beta, 1 RC and then the final release.

Linux builds will target CentOS 6.4 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Given Ubuntu 14.04
is the next LTS that will supposedly release some time next month, should we
focus on targeting that release instead for Ubuntu?

Sadly, MapGuide 2.6 still won't be 64-bit ready for Linux :( Even if the
plan was for a preview release with a subset of working FDO providers in
64-bit, the most important provider (SHP) is still not passing their test
suites in 64-bit Linux. Why is SHP provider the important one? Because
that's what most of our test and sample data for MapGuide is in. We need a
working SHP FDO provider in 64-bit Linux for me to have confidence in a
semi-functional 64-bit Linux build, and we just simply don't have that right
now. So this will have to be put on ice once again until after 2.6 is
released.

Just a reminder on the Windows front, Windows XP and 2003 support has been
dropped due to:

 1. Impending EOL of the aforementioned OSes.
 2. MapGuide moving to VS2012 as the default C++ compiler. VS2012 compiled
code does not run on XP or 2003 without XP re-targeting and we don't intend
to build MapGuide with XP re-targeting support.

The current tentative release schedule for 2.6 looks like this:

 Beta 1: Mid-April
 RC1: Late April
 Final: Late April - Early May

If you have tried the 2.6 preview release and encountered issues with the
installer, I'd really like to know about such issues before we release Beta
1. I really want to use this release cycle to fix non-installer related
issues.

- Jackie