[mapguide-users] MapGuide as a Docker container

scoobylx brandon.mason at maritimearchaeology.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 04:37:37 PDT 2014

Hi Jackie,

The docker image is fantastic, thank you for all your efforts on this which
is really helpful. I had been struggling with the 32bit/64 bit docker issue
when I came back to your blog and saw your docker post.

I now have most of my maps running successfully on the docker image. To get
around the issues with admin I have been using the mounts switch to keep all
my data on the host. I am keeping the www, Packages and templates locally
and linking them to docker where mapguide can see them. Exporting the
packages after making changes  means I have not actually needed to modify
the docker image at all. This is a revelation in terms of easing deployment.
I copied my start up command here in case it helps any one figure out docker
a little:

sudo docker run -d --name mapguide -p 8008:8008 -p 5432:5432 -v
/data/docker/mapguide/packages:/usr/local/mapguideopensource-2.6.0/server/Packages
-v
/data/docker/mapguide/www:/usr/local/mapguideopensource-2.6.0/webserverextensions/www/maps
-v
/data/docker/mapguide/resources:/usr/local/mapguideopensource-2.6.0/webserverextensions/www/resources
-v
/data/docker/mapguide/templates:/usr/local/mapguideopensource-2.6.0/webserverextensions/www/fusion/templates/mapguide
-t mat-mapguide /usr/bin/supervisord

I setup /data/docker/mapguide/ on my host to manage all of the application
data. There's probably better ways of doing this, but its working well for
the time being. Passing through port 8008 allows docker to run on the
localhost (or domain) instead of grepping the docker IP each time.

I am currently running postgresql/postgis on my host and have been able to
hook up mapguide in docker to pull data across. I used this blog post to
figure out the IP that docker was using to bridge across to the host:

http://blog.michaelhamrah.com/2014/06/accessing-the-docker-host-server-within-a-container/

For me it was the same as the post (but might not always be) which I then
used as the host address in the feature source: 172.17.42.1

The postgres sources display perfectly, but I am getting a fusion error when
selecting from some data stores. One of them seems to be working with
postgres 9.0.3 and postgis 1.5.5 so I need to investigate further.

Next step for me is dockerise the postgres installation and take the same
approach to storing the data on the host, independently from the
application.

Exciting stuff, looking forward to reading more about your progress.