[mapguide-users] MapGuide as a Docker container

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 11:04:28 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I've been playing around in Docker this past week. This is some seriously
cool technology.

For those who don't know. Docker is an OS virtualization environment that
allows you to run applications in self-contained and isolated software
containers.

Docker simplifies application deployment and allows applications to run in
environments that the application originally doesn't support. All that
environment needs is to be able to support Docker.

For those that are interested, I've put up a basic docker base image for
MapGuide on the docker registry:

https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/jumpinjackie/mapguide-base/

With the Dockerfile used to create this image on my github:

https://github.com/jumpinjackie/mapguide-centos-docker

MapGuide in a docker container presents new deployment possibilities,
especially in the cloud. For example, I was able to get MapGuide on Amazon
Elastic Beanstalk through its Docker container support:

http://default-environment-vciekuvahn.elasticbeanstalk.com/mapguide/mapviewerajax/?WEBLAYOUT=Library://Samples/Sheboygan/Layouts/SheboyganPhp.WebLayout&USERNAME=Anonymous

I've also blogged a basic introduction to docker-izing MapGuide:

http://themapguyde.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/docker-izing-mapguide.html

This docker image is a first cut (I'm just learning Docker). I wouldn't call
this suitable for production use yet as there are many questions around
certain admin/recovery scenarios where we need answered before we can
seriously consider docker as a viable deployment option.

But if you're as excited about Docker as I am, I invite you to join this
discussion here about how we can make a killer, reliable and resilient
docker base image for MapGuide application.

- Jackie