[mapguide-users] MG Scale Out - isolating MG Repository out of MG server process

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed May 27 05:01:38 PDT 2015

Multiple mgserver processes cannot hit the same dbxml database. I'm pretty
sure the first one will have a lock on the underlying files preventing other
mgserver processes from connecting to it.

With mg-desktop, all resources and data files sit on the file system (for
simplicity of implementation). Resource IDs map to some sort of relative
path from your mg-desktop application's directory.

I think what you're after is the not very well documented (or explored) load
balancing feature where you have one web tier farming out client requests to
multiple server tiers in a round-robin fashion. You can get a basic idea of
how this is set up in RFC 3
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc3)

Basically install two or more server tier installations (the windows
installer may or may not allow you to install server only, haven't tried).
Then make a web tier only installation (again this may or may not be
possible with the installer) and set its server IP to a comma-delimited list
of IPs of the hosts you installed the individual server tiers to.

Note the date of that RFC: 2006. Yeah, load balancing to multiple servers is
something that MapGuide can do, but we don't know how well it works because
we haven't had much good/bad user stories of this feature being used,
probably because (I'm guessing) not many people know this capability exists!

- Jackie