[mapguide-users] Migration Autodesk to Esri

GordonL gordon.luckett at arrowgeomatics.com
Mon Apr 9 12:19:38 PDT 2018

Absolutely, most I.T. departments in North America are extremely risk averse.
They see Open Source as a risky proposition, even if it is not so.

If you have to move to ArcGIS Server, you are going to find that you have a
bit of work.

First, the data.  You have to figure how the data is created/collected.
If the data is gathered by GPS or Survey, and then imported into the system,
you will have to make sure the storage mechanism still can hold it.  Oracle
can store the Spatial data and ArcMap can "view" the data but not edit
spatial data not in the SDE Enterprise schema within Oracle.
So, if you want to edit your existing data ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, you have
two choices:
1. Move all the data into ESRI Schema
2. Use a 3rd party tool plugin for ArcMap such as GISquirrel
(https://www.gisquirrel.com/home)

Or not with ESRI (i.e. QGIS)

Next, the layers and Maps.  MapGuide/AIMS creates layers within the XML on
the server.  Layers in ArcGIS Server are created as separate services (i.e.
Feature or Map Services).  You have to publish them from ArcCatelog, ArcMap
or ArcGIS Pro.  That is how you style, from the client and then publish.

Once inside the ArcGIS Server, they are published but to put together a good
map, you need to use:
1. ArcGIS online that points to your publicly available ArcGIS Server
2. ArcGIS Portal (a subset of ArcGIS online) that can be installed on your
internet or public.
3. ArcGIS API for Javascript - fairly easy to get going, much like the
Google Maps API
4. 3rd Party such as GeoCortex - a great wrapper to publish maps as a web
interface (I have even tried this with MapGuide WMS/WFS layers)
5. Open Source wrapper such as Leaflet or Open Layers - which can consume
the ArcGIS Server Rest api. (This is how I often do MapGuide/ArcGIS mashups)

So that is a bit of a migration in a nutshell.