[mapguide-users] Migration Autodesk to Esri

Jérôme DUCKERS jerome.duckers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 13:39:16 PDT 2018

Thanks Gordon,

We are aware that migration will take months !

Unfortunately with the previous points, we're somewhat forced to migrate.

Our action plan is the following :

    1.  Keep our aims web viewer (our licenses are permanent) and provide
some improvements.

     2. Provide some Map/Feature services based on our oracle database
(sdo_geometry) to SAP.

    3. Slowly reinvent our web viewer, to have something younger, the
current viewer has almost 10 years.

Data is very important for us. Therefore we take the choice to continue
with Oracle Database and sdo_geometry.

To provide data via mapservices, it’s very easy ! Unfortunately, you’ve
right, for crud, it’s more complicated.

We have enable sde on the database and created some working tables (with
st_geometry), when data is created/updated/deleted, triggers are processing
data  and put it into our sdo schema.

Layers are the biggest problem for us.

Mapguide manages layer as an object, with a lot of properties, the power of
this object is the collection of scale range.

In Arcgis, a layer has just one scale range.

In Mapguide, if I want a layer “Milepost” be shown as a point from 5000- 500
then  with a symbol from 499 – 0, no problem, it’s just a layer “milepost”.

In Argis, we need two layers L

For the viewer, I think that for the future, openlayers will be the best
choice. With openlayers, we have weak coupling with the map server.

So I’m practically sur that a migration to a new Gis Server will take less
time.

Arcgis API/ Geocortex are more specific for esri, and not flexible for a
potential future migration.

On the other hand, I found :

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infrastructure-map-server/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/autodesk-infrastructure-map-server-end-life-faq.html

*Special Offer from Esri*

Another consideration is this offer from Esri.  With the recently announced
collaboration <http://www.infrastructure-reimagined.com/autodesk-esri> between
Autodesk and Esir, Esri is making a special offer available to AIMS
customers: Between January 7, 2018 through December 31, 2018, each seat of
AIMS, regardless of contract plan (maintenance or subscription), will be
eligible to receive a seat of Esri ArcGIS Enterprise Standard
<http://www.esri.com/en/arcgis/products/arcgis-enterprise/overview> plus
one additional license of the Esri ArcGIS Desktop Standard
<http://www.esri.com/en/arcgis/products/arcgis-pro/overview>.  This is a
free one-time offer for the license and the license will fall under Esri’s
standard maintenance program the following year.

We have 8 seats ! So Esri must provide us : 8 ArcGIS Enterprise
Standard,  right
?

Thank you all for your good advice.

Jérôme.