[mapguide-users] Fwd: MapGuide 4 and Linux

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 04:50:08 PDT 2021

As it currently stands, we are only targeting Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit.

The main reason for this is that currently MapGuide will not fully build on
Ubuntu 18.04 (and likely newer versions) due to our bundled version of PHP
(5.6) requiring OpenSSL <= 1.1.0, which is not not possible on this distro

Ubuntu 18.04 provides OpenSSL 1.1.0
Ubuntu 18.04 also provides OpenSSL 1.0, but this cannot be installed
side-by-side with the default 1.1.0 package. The 1.1.0 package is also a
dependency of several build packages.

Of course, PHP 5.6 is already getting the axe and being replaced by PHP 7
anyways with the ongoing vanilla SWIG binding work so we may (and most
likely will) bump up the version of Ubuntu to target once the work is
completed.

I will be putting out a new MapGuide 4.0 preview release in the next few
weeks (to rollover some post-preview-2 fixes for MapGuide and a significant
set of changes/fixes for FDO). This preview will still target Ubuntu 16.04.

If you have to use another distro, the current prescription is to build and
run MapGuide on an Ubuntu16-based docker image,

- Jackie

You wrote:

What versions of Linux will MapGuide 4 support?

i.e. Ubuntu 20.10?

thanks!

--
*Please Note: I no longer create new posts or post replies to any OSGeo