[mapguide-users] MapGuide WMS Requests are Always in ESSG:4326 ?

Crispin Hoult (TrueViewVisuals) crispin at trueviewvisuals.com
Fri May 31 11:32:18 PDT 2024

Hi,

I have a client with Map and MapGuide connecting to a WMS service for UK maps. AutoCAD Map makes a request OK using similar FDO WMS provider ... but the MG logs showed a InvalidCRS message when MGServer makes a map request.

I realised (via a public WMS and a helpful blog on using Fiddler) that the issue is that MG is requests always using EPSG:4326 within the Request=GetMap.

When I set my .MapDefinition up I used a British EPSG:27700 that is listed as supported in the GetCapabilities but the request does not use this native projection.
In the  case of the problem service it ONLY published on EPSG:27700 and a few others and NOT on the most common EPSG:4326 – and as such returns an InvalidSRS response when MG sends it's converted request in using 4326.

A solution, obvs, is to get the provider to add the CRS into the GetCapabilities, however I think this is a bug (is there a workaround with the configuration document?) as there is no obvious requirement for this when working with projected maps and the projection is published in the WMS.

Example:

  1.
Create a new WMS .FeatureSource to https://map.bgs.ac.uk/arcgis/services/BGS_Detailed_Geology/MapServer/WMSServer?service=WMS&version=1.3.0

  1.
Create a new layer to "BGS 50k Bedrock" (a Maestro bug does not list all layers, edit XML by hand)
  2.
Create a New Map, using EPSG:27700, add the layer
  3.
Create a New layout and set initial view to centre on 300000,600000 and zoom scale 40000
  4.
Map will preview OK but the underlying request shows similar to below

https://map.bgs.ac.uk/arcgis/services/BGS_Detailed_Geology/MapServer/WmsServer?version=1.3.0&service=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&EXCEPTIONS=XML&LAYERS=BGS.50k.Bedrock&STYLES=&CRS=EPSG:4326&SRS=EPSG:4326&FORMAT=image/png&BBOX=56.211896,-3.973780,56.281919,-3.810279&HEIGHT=782&WIDTH=1032&TRANSPARENT=FALSE&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF

 Many thanks,

  Crispin

Crispin Hoult