[mapguide-psc] MapGuide Release Process - proposal

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Oct 27 11:27:45 EDT 2006

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Based on my email, I've prepared a wiki page documenting my proposal for
> a release process for MapGuide.  Please feel free to edit and/or provide
> feedback via the list.
>
> Please note that it will be hard to perfect this until we actually do a
> release or two.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_Release_Process

Nice document. Here are a few comments based on my experience with
MapServer:

1- The current document seems to suggest that functional changes and new
features are allowed up to the first release candidate. I'm not sure
this is a good idea. If you follow that logic, then new features or
functional changes can be added anytime during the beta test period...
very likley to introduce new bugs while others are working hard to
stabilize the software... leading to a never-ending release cycle.

For MapServer, we have a feature freeze date that marks the beginning of
the release cycle. The feature freeze is announced in advance when we
introduce the release plan and no new features or functional changes are
allowed after that date. Beta1 is usually produced in the week that
follows the feature freeze. This means that all betas contain the same
features, just with more bug fixes but hopefully with no new bugs. This
also allows the doc team to start polishing the docs at the beginning of
the release cycle and we hopefully end up with docs in sync with the
software at on the day of the final release (which is the way it should
be, right?)... but more importantly, the feature freeze at the beginning
of the release cycle is to allow the software to really stabilize during
the release cycle and prevent the introduction of new bugs during that
period.

2- Under release type, should we also have a "dev release", "dev
snapshot" or something along those lines that can be produced and
officially labelled anytime during the development cycle to make a much
wanted feature available "as-is" and right away without going through
the full release process? I'm just asking. I proposed that for MapServer
way back when and it was turned down, but I thought I would raise that
possibility with you just in case you see a need for that.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/