[mapguide-psc] RFC process...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Oct 28 19:02:59 EDT 2006

Discussion, not conflict :)

I actually believe that the template and official process will be applicable regardless.   What I would like to do would be to prefix the official RFC process document with something like this:

"
There is nothing stopping you from developing a solution to your problem independantly and presenting it as a version 1.0 RFC.  However, this approach has several pitfalls.  First, you risk duplication of effort.  If you are seeing a limitation in the current code, it's likely that others have too and may be developing a solution independantly.  Second, you risk having to expend considerable effort refactoring your code if it meets with valid objections during the RFC process.  Third, even if your solution is accepted (we DO like features) you risk having to expend more effort in the future fixing your code to solve an unseen problem that the community could have caught in an open development process.

The preferred way of creating an RFC is to write up a loose business case and proposed solution on the wiki and then ask for informal input on the dev list/channel before formally presenting it to the PSC for review.  This will ensure that your solution is the best possible fit for the project's direction, ease your RFC's way through the process, and increase the overall value of the project.
"

Thoughts?

Jason