[mapguide-users] SDF Question

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Mar 23 17:31:31 EST 2006

That's good to hear.

I believe that the SDF format has real potential as a generic file-based
storage and exchange format.  SHP has been used as a de facto standard
because it is pervasive and "open" (sort-of) but it has many problems
such as field width limitations, multiple files, platform-dependant
spatial indexes, etc.

SDF is superior in these areas, is open, and has full single-user
geodatabase capabilities.

While the idea is for everyone to be using a spatial database like
PostGIS, I hope that the open source community embraces the SDF format
as a mechanism to provide high quality file-based data stores.  I also
hope that the FDO abstraction layer is utilized by multiple tools in the
same way that OGR and GeoTools are, reducing the amount of effort that
is expended on developing data access and update mechanisms.

Jason