[mapguide-users] isapi_fcgi.dll

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Nov 15 14:06:34 EST 2006

Hi Chris,

I'll give this a shot, though my technical understanding may not be
perfect.

The FCGI handler is pointing to a FastCGI server process
(http://www.fastcgi.com/).  This is similar to ISAPI modules; it keeps
the executable in memory, allows shared connections, etc, etc.  It gives
most of the benefits of server-specific modules (isapi, apache modules)
without requiring the developers to develop for each of these
architectures.

Similar to ISAPI modules, using FastCGI does not require that the server
spawn a new PHP interpreter for each page request.  This gives
considerably better performance, though it does mean that the developers
can't be sloppy about memory leaks.

One unintended benefit of using FastCGI is that you can have multiple
PHP installs, each with their own INI file, while retaining the benefits
of a persistent process.  With the PHP ISAPI module on IIS, you can't do
this.

Early releases of MapGuide had problems with the way that the handlers
were set up, but I haven't personally seen any issues with 1.0.2.

Jason

________________________________

From: Chris Gountanis
Subject: [mapguide-users] isapi_fcgi.dll

With that being said is there a better way to setup the IIS/PHP config
in IIS. I was told be a few people that they had to change the PHP and
FCGI handlers manually after the fact. Why are PHP pages handled with
the isapi_fcgi.dll file and not the php-cgi.exe file? What is the big
diff from using mapagent.fcgi or using MapAgent.exe directly. What is
the fcgi file actually redirecting to?

--
Chris