Formation of the MapGuide Open Source PSC, and MapGuide Open Source Update

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Oct 20 13:43:05 EDT 2006

Hi all,

To keep communication clear and open I thought it would be a good idea
to let y'all know what's going on with MapGuide Open Source.

The MapGuide Open Source Project Steering Committee (PSC) is now in the
boostrapping phase.  You can find out more about the PSC on our home
page [1], and if you are interested in following along, our meetings
will all be posted on the OSGeo Wiki [2].  Feel free to lurk on IRC
during the meetings, and join the mailing list [3] as an observer.

After we get the PSC bootstrapped, we will also be setting up regular
developer IRC meetings for anyone interested in contributing to MapGuide
or just wanting to follow along.  These developer meetings and the dev
mailing list [4] will be where all technical discussions around the
development of the MapGuide code base takes place, with process items
(such as accepting feature changes and setting the road map) taking
place in the PSC list and IRC meetings.  Many other efforts are underway
as part of moving MapGuide Open Source towards a healthy open source
project.  Some of these can be seen on the MapGuide Open Source wiki
page [5]

A similar process is taking place for the FDO project.

And, as a personal plug, feel free to read some of my comments on this
process [6].

Jason

[1] PSC home page (currently draft):
https://mapguide.osgeo.org/psc.html