[MapProxy] New MapProxy 0.9.0 release

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Mon Oct 18 09:15:59 EDT 2010

Hi everyone!

We are finally ready to announce the release of MapProxy 0.9.0. It
contains lots of major and minor improvements.

The latest release is available at: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/MapProxy

To update within you virtualenv:

 $ pip install MapProxy

Updated documentation is available at: http://mapproxy.org/docs/0.9.0/

Some noteworthy improvements are:

Demo Service
------------

MapProxy now comes with a demo service that lists all configured WMS and
TMS layers. You can test each layer with a simple OpenLayers client at
/demo.
http://mapproxy.org/docs/0.9.0/services.html#mapproxy-demo-service

Configuration
-------------

A biggest and most apparent change is the configuration format. MapProxy
still uses YAML as a configuration format, but the structure changed a
bit.

Some benefits of the new configuration: Most global options, like image
resampling and meta_size, are now configurable for each cache; you can
now reuse parts of the configuration, like grid or source definitions;
and there is now a single configuration file instead of two
(service.yaml and proxy.yaml).

There is a small migration guide that should help to update your
configuration. http://mapproxy.org/docs/0.9.0/migrate.html

Oh, and in case you didn't know, YAML is compatible with JSON. So you
can use JSON for the configuration if you like.

Less dependencies
-----------------

We removed two dependencies that required a C compiler. The only
dependency that still requires compilation is the Python Image Library
(PIL). If you use PIL from your system distribution (python-imaging on
Debian/Ubuntu) you will no longer need a compiler during installation.

We switched the templates away from Jinja2 to Tempita, a minimal
Python-only template engine. It is a bit slower, but it is only used for
capability documents, so the WMS and TMS performance is not affected.

The other dependency wich required compilation was pyproj. We we added a
wrapper to MapProxy that directly uses libproj, the Proj4 C-library.
libproj is available on most systems and should already be installed
when you use software like MapServer or PostGIS. There is a fallback to
pyproj, i.e. you can still use the binary distribution of pyproj on
Windows.

Thanks for everyone who tried one of our release candidates and reported
any issues.

Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR
Nadorster Str. 60, 26123 Oldenburg
Tel: +49(0)441/9392774-2 (Fax: 9)