[MapProxy] Is any raster image support planned in future?

Andreas Trawoeger atrawog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:23:44 EDT 2010

Hi Adam!

2010/9/29 Adam Estrada <estrada.adam at gmail.com>:
> Oliver et al,
> You mentioned compatibility with Mapnik. Have you seen the Ogcserver that
> Dane wrote? It works wonderfully but is still kinda slow. MapProxy would
> compliment that perfectly. Also, have you guys considered pairing up with
> MapServer in the same way GWC did with GeoServer? It looks like TileCache
> has already been there and done that but nothing that appears to be as
> integrated as the GWC bit I mentioned.
> Thoughts?

There are so many potential combination that it's tough to decide what
solutions is the best way forward.

Personally I'm primary looking for a smart TMS [0] compliant caching
solution that works well with GeoTiffs data and OpenLayers web
clients, with WMS support being a nice add on but no must have
requirement.

Using a WMS server like MapServer or Ogcserver to serve the data would
be doable. But it complicates the setup and has the potential to slow
down thing pretty severely.

Things are quite likely the other way round if you primarily want to
support your desktop GIS applications via WMS and see TMS and web
client support only as a nice add on.

The great thing with OpenSource is that it's comparably easy and cheap
to try everything out and we will see what combinations will work out
best long term.

cu andreas

[0] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service_Specification