[MapProxy] Performance with rapidly expiring tiles

Tom Saul tcsaul at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 09:45:23 PDT 2015

I have been experimenting with geoWebCache, and it seems it will not
(currently) work for my requirements, so I am looking for alternatives.  My
goal is pretty simple - I want to be able to scale WMS access to large
number of users when we have occasional usage bursts.  The complication is
that my tiles represent dynamic data (it changes every minute).  The tiles
themselves are very simple, and under normal cases we can easily provision
enough capacity to handle the load (without caching).  geoWebCache allows
the system to work much more efficiently (it should allow pretty much
unlimited usage), but it has severe problems in clearing the cache (it
grows faster than it can be cleared, and eventually slows to a crawl and/or
fills the disk).  Has anyone tried MapProxy with a similar configuration,
and if so how did its cache cleanup perform?

Thanks, Tom