[MapProxy] Google Static Maps API

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Fri Oct 30 00:39:02 PDT 2015

Hi,

> On 28.10.2015, at 17:48, Piero Campalani <piero.campa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that there is no out-of-the-box support for proxying Google Static Maps via MapProxy.
>
> Is that correct or am I missing some wheels around?
>
> As you suggested a couple of years ago (see below) I could extend a `tms' source to understand and propagate the Google Static Maps API by adding center_x and center_y params.

It wasn’t added to MapProxy, that’s right.

> If that is the case I am glad to help and contribute somehow. May I have a small overview on the things I should do to get this done?

You should first read: http://mapproxy.org/docs/nightly/development.html
It contains important information about tests and documentation, etc.
For this change you need to update TileURLTemplate https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/blob/master/mapproxy/client/tile.py#L51

> Side question: what are the Google Maps compatible sources described in the home page of MapProxy? Is there some alternative for same high-resolution world-wide photographic imagery?
> "MapProxy reads from [...] any TileCache, Google Maps or Bing __compatible__ source"

Compatible as in ‘uses the same or similar URL layout’.

In any case: You need to check with the service provider if you are allowed to cache their images. Most TOS do not permit this.

Oliver Tonnhofer  | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG  | http://omniscale.com
OpenStreetMap WMS and tile services         | http://maps.omniscale.com