[MapProxy] CC-BY-SA AccessConstraints in documentation & tests

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Aug 3 14:50:07 PDT 2016

On 8/3/2016 11:54 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> The upload of MapProxy 1.9.0 to the Debian archive has been rejected by
> the FTP masters [0] because the CC-BY-SA license is not compatible with
> the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) [1] and the Open Source
> Definition [2] derived from it.

MapProxy is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license[1]and has no content
under CC BY-SA. As part of the documentation it includes sample config
files[2]. One configuration option allows the server operator to specify
access constraints which their server has. A common access constraint
is to restrict usage and indicate a license for what is being served.
It does not mean that the code is under the same license. I have
configuration
files and scripts under FOSS licenses which set up a server supplying
imagery not under an open license.

An essential freedom of software like MapProxy is that you can use it to
serve a map how you want, to who you want, restricting use how you want.

I suppose if Debian wanted to they could replace the access_constraints
in the config files with Lorem ipsum. This would be less useful to users
as indicating terms of use is very common[3][4] as is documentation
explaining access control[5].

Given that there is no CC BY-SA content in MapProxy I don't see that
any changes need to be made. The example configuration files could possibly
use work, but not for any legal reasons.

As an aside, are you building the documentation to HTML and including it
in the packages? This text is only in examples.

[1] https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
[2]
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/blob/master/doc/yaml/simple_conf.yaml
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy