[MapProxy] pbf vector tiles cachen

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Wed Jan 20 14:44:13 PST 2016

Hi all,

Geoserver nowadays has a plugin [1] to render vector data as vector
tiles in the mapbox vector tiles specification (.pbf) [2]. It supports
WMS requests with the format=application/x-protobuf parameter. I was
wondering how hard it would be to have mapproxy handle wms-c and tms
requests and cache the .pbf tiles. I am aware that the more advanced
features of mapproxy, like WMS, reprojection, metatiles will not work as
long as mapproxy can't read protobuffer files, and even if it does it
would be a difficult thing. But I'd like the easier bits: turn a TMS
request into the correct WMS-request, retrieve the .pbf file, store it
locally and serve it to the client.

Any idea if this would be feasible at all, and if so how much work would
it be to implement it?

Cheers,
Steven

[1] https://github.com/stefan0722/gs-mvt