[MapProxy] Benchmarking Mapnik seeding performance

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Feb 19 15:22:13 PST 2018

I'm doing some investigations of metatile settings with MapProxy, and
wanted to run my method by the list in case anyone can spot problems
with it.

I have mapnik source pointing at Mapnik XML, and a file cache based on
it, saving in TMS directory layout. The metatile size is adjusted
depending on what I'm testing. For a seed file, I'm seeding that cache
to z8 with mapproxy-seed, adjusting the parallelism with -c.

A couple of potential problems I already know about are

- Mapnik has problems with images over 16384px in any dimension, so the
biggest metatiles that are power of two are 32x32
- inode limitations can be a problem for higher zooms, but aren't an
issue at z8, or even z12.

Are there any others that I might hit, particularly any unique to
MapProxy? I recall hearing that MapProxy needs to reload part of Mapnik
for each tile it renders, but found nothing documenting this and have no
idea if it's true.