[MapProxy] Improved granularity for seed refresh

Moritz Kirmse moritz.kirmse at camptocamp.com
Thu May 6 08:11:41 PDT 2021

Hello,

I am starting to develop a new feature for Mapproxy which is needed to get
rid of some custom scripts, so that MapProxy can handle our whole tile
caching workflow by its own.

We would like to add the following two features to the mapproxy-seed
configuration:

- restriction of reseeding to existing tiles only, once they have become
expired.
- conservation of old/stale tiles in case of missing replacement (source
not available, for ex. http error).

This might be two non-default options under the 'refresh_before' tree in
the seed.yaml file and look like in the example below:

seeds:
  myseed1:
    refresh_before:
      weeks: 1
      existing_tiles_only: True
      keep_missing_files: True

I was about to create a Github issue for discussion on the topic, but it
said issues are reserved to bugs and the mailing list shall be used for
feature discussion.

So I will create a pull request and refine the feature there.

An existing PR will be useful for this feature, and I will be using it for
development:
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/pull/453 (Added max-repeat param #453)

Do not hesitate to leave me any comments and suggestions, in case I
overlooked something.

Best regards,
Moritz