[mapserver-dev] Re: MapServer security issue

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Sat Nov 16 08:47:50 EST 2002

I think the main problem (unauthorized disk access via DATA, TEMPLATE,
FONTSET, TMP or other variables) has been taken care of by your regex
solution (very good idea by the way). I'm not that afraid of unescaped
character or buffer overflow, but checking them is always a good idea.
Buffers should be reasonably large of course, because so much can be
passed to MapServer.

Just one final loophole, mentioned by Daniel: the mapfile from the
calling URL. This can come anywhere in the filesystem and you cannot
shield that with a regular expression within the mapfile (would be
circular, wouldn't it?). His solution (adding an environment variable
MS_MAPFILE that can override the map-URL parameter) looks fine to me.

Daniel, do these solutions check with the other security risks you
mentioned? Are there additional risks with PHP-MapScript?

Jan