[mapserver-dev] Coloring height rasters

Administrator jnovak at novacell.com
Sun Nov 24 01:01:05 EST 2002

Frank,

If you have the capability to process raw data, and the capability to
quantize that data into a set of 255 user specified colors, you're
already touching every pixel in the raw data.  A color ramp shader such
as I'm simply performs a different quantization and outputs 24 bit
values for each pixel.

I definitely agree that this is not the pinnacle of optimal code, but I
can have the shader use the full range of 24 bit color across the
heights appearing in the rectangle of interest.  Maximum detail based on
the height minimum and maximum.

This, of course, begs the question of just where the height minimum and
maximums come from.

Which, conveniently, leads to my next question.  There's already a very
fine tile based scheme that sits on top of the shape file data base
format, I believe.  It seems that it would not be terribly difficult for
someone, namely me, to extend the row schema for each tile such that it
includes the min and max heights for the tile.

An appropriate tile index query could then supply the shader with the
height extrema for each tile in the final image so that the correct
ratio of height delta to pixel RGB value could be efficiently computed
for rendering.  This means you may not get the broadest range of values
for a particular rectangle, but if the tile index has appropriate
granularity it should suffice.

Comments ?

Maybe I could implement the range color table while I'm at it...

John Novak
Novacell Technologies