[mapserver-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] Release of MS 3.7 ?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 2 14:17:46 EDT 2002


>From our end, most of the work that we wanted to do has been completed
for 3.7, there are just a few items left that we would like to see
before a 3.7 release:

- WFS Support (due by Oct. 10)
- Retrofit PDF output in new architecture (almost done)  
- Implement support for OGC Web Map Context (basically a WMS mapfile in
XML format), see: http://www.opengis.org/techno/discussions/02-066r1.pdf
- Do our best to complete thread-safety for the PHP MapScript module

All the above can be completed before the end of October at our end. 
Does anyone else still have things they wanted to include in version

I think a stable release by the end of October would be a bit short. 
Perhaps we should take the 3.6 release cycle as an example since it
worked very well and resulted in a very stable release:
 - April 30 2002: Created 3.6 branch in CVS, the main trunk becoming 3.7
 - May 30 : Released 3.6.0 after one month of active testing by
    users/developers of MapLab, and many other users around the world.
 - 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 were released with bug fixes in the following months.
 - More fixes are present in 3.6.3 in CVS and we should probably release
   this as the official version on the UMN website.  What do you think,

For the 3.7 release I think we should plan for at least one month of
active testing after branching in CVS, the same way as we did for 3.6.

How about the following schedule for a 3.7 release:

 - Oct. 26 : Freeze 3.7 developmentand create 3.7 branch in CVS and
      start releasing 3.7 betas for public use.  
      The main trunk in CVS becomes 3.8-dev or 4.0-dev
 - Oct 27 to Nov. 30 : Testing by users community and bug fixes in 3.7
      branch based on users feedback
 - Early December : 3.7.0 release, with 3.7.1, etc. later on for bug
      fixes only.

Any comments, suggestions?  If we decide to go ahead with this plan then
I'll create a Wiki page to document the release process and with a
checklist of things completed and still to be done before the release.


Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi Tom: If everyone (especially me) would wrap up changes we'd be
> looking at the end of October, with a usable nightly build well before
> then. I'm not sure that's realistic though. I'll take this to the
> developers list to see if we can agree on a target date.
> Steve
> Stephen Lime
> Data & Applications Manager
> Minnesota DNR
> 500 Lafayette Road
> St. Paul, MN 55155
> 651-297-2937
> >>> "Tom Cadman" <Tom.Cadman at region.durham.on.ca> 09/26/02 07:44 AM >>>
> Hello everbody. Is there a tentative release date for Mapserve version
> 3.7 ?
> Thanks

More information about the mapserver-dev mailing list