[Mapserver-dev] important notice

Ranga Raju Vatsavai vatsavai at mail.cs.umn.edu
Fri Aug 22 17:02:43 EDT 2003

Hello All,

The mapserver.gis.umn.edu machine that is hosting mapserver web and mailing lists
was hit by spam mails for last couple of days, as result some of the resources
(e.g., disk quota) got exhausted. I cleaned up most of the mess. Here are couple
of things that all (especially new users) should know.

- When you post a message and gets reply that says 'your message is held for
approval'

Couple of reasons for this behavior -

        1. You are not a subscribed user - so you should subscribe first
        before posting message to the lists (to control spam), so please
        don't depend on administrators approval to get your message onto
        the list.

        2. You are subscribed, but still getting the above notice. This could
        happen due to the way YOUR mail server is configured. Especially some
        systems append the machine name to email address (e.g., abc at yyy.domain..).
        As a result whenever you use a different machine (e.g. zzz) to post message
        the id appears as abc at zzz.domain.. and our software (mailman) interprets
        that the message is from an unsubscribed user and hence sends it to the
        administrator for approval.
        So if that is the case we can't do much, you should ask your system admin
        to fix the problem (ideally email address should be abc at domain..)

If you think none of these are the reasons, then please send a mail to
vrraju at gis.umn.edu - attaching appropriate bounced message.

Thanks,
Raju
----