[Mapserver-dev] New msCloneLayerObj() function

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Tue Feb 18 14:06:02 EST 2003

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 11:15  AM, Steve Lime wrote:

> I'm worried about moving the copying code out of mapfile.c or a least
> away from other code
> pertaining to a particular object type (i.e. layerObj). When making
> changes it means you have
> to make sure to remember to change mapfile.c and mapcopy.c, much nicer
> to have all the
> code together. If mapfile.c is getting bulky I might suggest busting it
> into parts like:
>
>   mapfile_layerObj.c
>   mapfile_scalebarObj.c
>
> with mapfile.c holding code for the main mapObj and the helper
> functions. Just a thought.
>
> Steve

Steve,

I haven't revised mapfile.c.

The code in mapcopy.c _does_ use many of the functions in mapfile.c,
so maybe it belongs with that file.  I made a new file only because
I didn't want to run roughshod over mapfile.c and because the stuff
I'm writing will likely never be used in mapserv itself.

Which leads me to a question: if it's only for mapscript users,
maybe the solution is a new swig interface file to accompany
mapscript.i?

I'm easy, and will readily go with your call.  Wherever the code
goes, and whether we call the functions *Copy* or *Clone* (there's
already some precedence) is fine with me.

Sean